Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has a ear that dianoised by vet was she needed surgery…

Customer Question
My dog has a ear...
My dog has a ear that dianoised by vet was she needed surgery which could not be performed until after 6 months of age. He did do a sugery cleaning and put tubes in. she got rid of those quickly. No atibiotic stopped the infection. I do not understand the 6 month of age wait. The tube surgery was $800.00. He wants $2000. for the surgery. I do not understand the wait?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/16/2010
Dog Specialist: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Andy :

Hello.

Dr. Andy :

I don't either.

Dr. Andy :

First...At ANY time did they recommend a ear "culture and sensitivity test" so they can tell you exactily what bacteria was in the ear canal?

Customer:

no

Dr. Andy :

Then we have a problem. I have no idea how a vet could jump to surgical procedures, "tubes" etc..I not even run the culture test. Why is it important?

Dr. Andy :

Well, it actually will identify what bacteria is present and the best antibiotics to kill it. Extremely important with inner ear infections (inside the ear drum). In fact, not only should a topical ear medication be utilized, but an oral antibiotic as well.

Dr. Andy :

$2000 for what. I would stop. Demand a referral to a veterinary dermatologist before going any further.

Dr. Andy :

In fact, you can use this link to find one yourself:

Dr. Andy :

Find a Dermatologist

--> Then select "find dermatologist"

Dr. Andy :

The age wait. No idea...Not even sure what they are doing at this point.

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

oh wait they did and she was treated with anti biotic for a long time they said they would have to remove the ear parts. I am taking her else where, I just wanted to know if it made sense to make her wait 6months on these pills. I think now i am glad I waited Thank you so much. I just wanted some one to back my instincts up God bless you

Dr. Andy :

Please let me know if i can be of any further assistance. I always appreciate positive feedback after you accept, if the advice has been helpful or informative.

Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.

I have exited chat mode since you are not online. I hope the information is helpful.