Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Hero was doing very well for about a week and a half and on…

Customer Question
Hero was doing very well...
Hero was doing very well for about a week and a half and on Saturday he started to have problems urinating again....so I checked his urine with the glucose stick and he had the darkest color come up which from what I understand is a high level of glucose in his urine. I was able to test his blood with a glucose monitor and it was 285.I called our family vet on Saturday and he upped his insulin from 43 units twice a day to 44 units twice a day. I checked the urine again yesterday...still the darkest color and again today. I am really concerned because my nephew is Type 1 and my sister said it is really bad when it is in the urine but our family vet doesn't seem to be too concerned. I really want to make sure we are handling this appropriately and taking the best care of Hero. Should there be a greater concern? I am considering taking him to a vet that specializes in diabetes.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/14/2010
Dog Specialist: Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician replied 8 years ago
Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Hi, Lisa. Sorry to hear about your bumpy progress.

It is not unusual for a dog to have a complicated diabetic experience. When a dog becomes diabetic, it is because the pancreas fails entirely. This is a complicated condition.

An endocrinologist (at a veterinary school), or an internal medicine specialist would be a good and reasonable next step...this does not have to exclude your general practitioner in any way, but is certainly wise so that you can have as much information and support as possible.

You will need a referral to see a specialist, so approach your general vet by simply saying that you would like to know if there are specialists in the area they trust with endocrine cases. Or, you can use this link to locate one yourself (and then follow their office policy in regards XXXXX XXXXX a referral letter from your primary office):
Click here to search for SAIM (Small Animal Internal Medicine) specialist.