Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog just had her first litter of pups and she is not eating…

Customer Question
My dog just had her...
My dog just had her first litter of pups and she is not eating and getting very weak. What should I feed her or do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/14/2010
Dog Specialist: Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience replied 8 years ago
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Hi, and thanks for your question about Carmel.

I'm so sorry to hear she's not feeling well, after becoming a new mom.

There are various medical conditions which could be causing your dog's current weakened state. She may have a serious uterine infection called pyometra. This is not uncommon after delivering a litter.
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/pyometra.html

She also may have developed low blood calcium--a condition called elcampsia, which is also not uncommon in new mothers who are nursing. She may have an infection in her mammary tissue called mastitis, or a generalized infection in her system.
It's very important to get some nutrition and fluids into her, so for the moment, water down some smooth canned dog food or liquified (in a blender or food processor) plain boiled chicken or ground beef (containing no seasonings, onion, garlic--just plain) and feed it to her with a medicine syringe or dropper, slowly, from the side of her mouth. You can give two 1cc droppers every 15 minutes for an hour, then repeat in one hour. Also, dropper feed her water and/or children's unflavored Pedialyte on the same schedule, but alternate hours with the food.

It's essential that Carmel is evaluated in person by a vet, immediately, so she can be diagnosed and treated. If it is now after hours for you and your regular vet does not have emergency hours, bring her to an ER vet center. If you're not sure of the location of one near you, please let me know, supply your zipcode, and I will try to find one for you.

If Carmel has been nursing her puppies, you'll need to take over their feedings with a puppy replacement formula and newborn bottles, nipples and an eyedropper. Here are instructions on how to take care of and feed the puppies:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/orphaned.html

I hope all will be well with Carmel and her babies!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback. If you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher