Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

my own dog bit me in confusion when the younger dog lunged…

Customer Question
my own dog bit me...
my own dog bit me in confusion when the younger dog lunged to grab a bone...there were 4 people all sitting close and i think the dog(s) got anxious and confused over the bone...they have been together 3 years now and only had one other incident like this in all that time...my problem is, i think my hand may have nerve damage but i am afraid to see my doctor as he will report it...both my dogs are up-to-date on vaccines...my dad is an ex cop and he says they will keep him 6 mos! what? i also dont' have the money to pay for the boarding during the quarantine...the breeds are catahoula (m) and flat-coated retriever (f) (m) is 70lbs and (f) is maybe 40...they are both very gentle dogs...what can i do? since it happened 5 hours ago, my dog has been acting sad and is just laying in the other room, almost pouting, and when i walk by and he looks up, his ears go back like he knows he hurt me...i know he didn't mean it, and it was stupid for me to get my hand in their fight...do dogs get depressed after a shot of adrenaline like that? can he possibly even remember what happened hours later?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/13/2010
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. I think it is more the anxiety that is causing him to feel that way. There is a large adrenaline rush. Everybody is yelling and screaming. He gets into a fight. It is all confusing. Once the anxiety wears off he will be back to normal. 6 months seems like an awful long time for quarantine. The quarantine is usually necessary to make sure they don't develop signs of rabies. This should be no more than 10-14 days. I don't know your local laws, but I would assume that 6 months is not right. In all honesty, it is not worth it to not see your doctor to avoid quarantine. You can suffer a serious infection or permanent damage, which can cost you the use of your hand and possibly much more money in the long run. If they are all up to date on rabies vaccines, then there is a possibility that they will let you do home quarantine. At least, that is the case in my area. An in hospital or shelter quarantine shouldn't be anymore than 10 days, though. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
i have loved on him since it happened once things settled down, bc i know he didn't mean it, of course he didn't, i would not own an aggressive dog and i have dog experience, i used to rescue and rehab "bait" dogs and both my dogs are HS rescues....i know it was stupid for me to get my hand into their fight, i was protecting my mother who was sitting right next to them i wasn't thinking "dog fight"...i keep reading hand bites are the worst bc of tendons, etc..i know you can't give medical advise of course, but in your experience with dog bites (being a vet, i imagine you've had a couple) how long in your opinion is too long for swelling and pain until i have to see my doctor, and what will he have to report by law? i live in gwinnett county, ga.
People don't realize that their own dogs will bite them in the confusion of a dog fight. It is not that they mean to bite you. It is just that instinct takes over for them and they just bite what is coming at them. I cannot comment on the law. I am not a lawyer and don't know anything about your local laws. Here, doctors are required to report all dog bites. I can say that it doesn't always happen that way, though. When someone in my hospital gets bitten, we send them to the emergency center immediately. These bite wounds, especially severe ones, can get infected and start causing more damage by the next day. If there is tendon injury, infection will only make it worse. Hope this helps.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do understand...just hate to have to hotel the family pets... :(
You are very welcome. It is always hard to be apart from them. Good luck!!