Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

our great dane is 4 at the end of the month. She has always…

Customer Question
our great dane is 4...
our great dane is 4 at the end of the month. She has always been a picky eater - the least thing puts her off her food and we have to start giving her minute portions for a couple of days until she starts eating properly. This week end she has gone really strange she wont eat and is running around like she is scared all the time. She has started digging holes everywhere she can, she has just chewed the door sill and she keeps whining. She has changed shape around her stomach - there is a line underneath her stomach and her nipples look swollen and hard. Could this be a phantom pregnacy - if so what should we do about it? she is not due to come into season for another couple of months. Any advice would be most welcome. Alison and Gary Alder
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/11/2010
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 8 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hi Jacustomer-48b35im4~

It actually sounds to me as if your dog may have an intestinal blockage from the wood that she is eating.

Whenever I hear about a deep-chested dog who isn't eating, is painful (whining) and has a different physical appearance to their stomach, I start thinking that there could be either an obstruction or even the possibility of bloat.

I think the best thing to do is to have her seen by her regular vet. They'll take an x-ray to make sure that everything is fine, and if it is, they'll be able to give you advice on what to do if this is a pseudopregnancy.

I hope this helps.

she has not been eating all week, and she has been digging all week as well. She has only just chewed the door frame

Another possibility could be Addison's Disease, also known as hypoadrenocortism. If this were my dog, I'd have that test run first.

I know that your concern is that she's going through a false pregnancy, but I don't think that's what is going on here. A dog who is going through that usually doesn't stop eating and starts 'nesting' by gathering/rearranging her blankets to make a place to have puppies. They don't usually whine and chew on door frames.

Edited by CVT_in_MN on 6/12/2010 at 3:27 AM EST