Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

puppy: Hi, I have a few questions on potty training..12 week old…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a few questions...

I have a few questions on potty training my puppy. She is a 12 week old Alaskan malamute. We live in a pretty apartment so she has lots of rooms to run around. Because it is a high rise, it is impractical for me to take her down and outside to eliminate now since she is still so little. The breeder started her with indoor training to keep on safe indoors when she hasn’t got her shots, and I continued the training after she came to us so she is really good at going on papers. I also bought a litterpan and lined it newspaper and training pads for her to go on it. However, recently, I noticed that whenever she is tired, she would walk to the litterpan and just lay in there and sleep. I thought dogs don’t like to sleep where they eliminate. Why is she doing this and how do I stop her from doing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/10/2010
Dog Specialist: Karen Purcell, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Karen Purcell
Karen Purcell, Dog Veterinarian

Alice,

I'm going to warn you right from the beginning that an Alaskan malamute is not a good breed for any apartment, let alone a high rise. This dog is going to weigh between 90-110 lbs full grown. Now is the time to seriously reconsider the breed of dog you want to have.

As for the house training, everything you are doing to teach her appropriate indoor habits is correct. However, it looks like your pup wants her own bed, so I suggest getting her a dog bed separate from her litter box and rewarding her for using the bed to sleep. You will need a very large area for her as an adult, I recommend using a child's wading pool. Once she is house trained, she will be able to hold her eliminations until she gets downstairs. I would start walking her as soon as possible and rewarding her for eliminating outdoors. Wait til she has gone indoors first, then she will be able to hold it until she gets outside. Most puppies urinate every 30-60 minutes, so you should have opportunities to let her know that she is going what you want. Try to pick a word to use that she will associate with eliminating, such as 'void' or 'do your duty'.

I wish you luck,

D.r Karen

Hi Thanks,

She does have her own bed but she doesn't like to sleep on it.She would lie on it for a few secods and then just leave.

She may have a preference to the area where her litter box sits. Usually dogs like to sleep near their people, so make sure her bed is next to yours or the couch/chair where you usually sit. Give her treats for using her bed. If you add some larger rocks to her litter box, you will make it too uncomfortable for her to sleep there.

Dr. Karen