Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My border collie has a clean slit, not on her paw pad, but…

Customer Question
My border collie has a...
My border collie has a clean slit, not on her paw pad, but much deeper down in the place in between two pads. She limps slightly after a walk, but I have not allowed her to run for 2 days due to this. Should the paw be bandaged at this point; it's been a couple of days; and how long should I expect for it to heal?
Thank you,
Lisa
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/9/2010
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 8 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi Sir or Madam,

I suggest soaking the paw 2-3 times a day with warm water and epson salt, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide and applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. I would then use a baby sock to keep the paw clean changing as it gets dirty. A sanitary napkin can be put in the bottom of the sock to provide more cushioning. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain if there is no active bleeding.. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

If you do not see any improvement in a couple of days or it becomes swollen and inflamed, your Vet should see the dog. Paw injuries such as cuts take a while to heal as the dog is continuing to use the paw. You should see some improvement in 4-5 days with treatment but it will take longer before it is totally healed.

Hope this helps.