Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog had a little scab behind his ear and it fell of and

Customer Question
now he has a large...
My dog had a little scab behind his ear and it fell of and now he has a large lump that has grown to a the size of a small grape in the matter of two hours. We have found 3 more scabs on him since. Any idea?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog
4/22/2010
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is the lump painful or have any discharge? What color is it? What is his breed and age?

The lump does not appear to be painful to him at all but does appear to have some discharge. It is very red but not bleeding.

He is a 5 year old Cairn Terrier.

Thank you,

Thanks for the information. Is the discharge or is the mass red? It it possible for you to take a picture of the mass and post it to your next message, using the "tree" icon on the toolbar above?

The mass is red and the discharge is clear. In the past 30 minutes it has gone from a small grape to a more of a oblong looking mass, basically putting two grapes together. I just took a picture but it say's it is too large to attach. I could email it to you if you provided an email address.

thanks

Thanks. I can't receive it over email, but can you post it to a file sharing website and make sure I have access? It seems to be growing awful fast to me.

I would agree that it is growing awful fast which is why I used this option online. I will just get him to a vet in the morning.

Thanks

With the mass growing so fast and having a clear discharge, I would suspect it is some type cyst. If it was bleeding, the discharge would definitely be bloody. Even a cancerous tumor would not grow this fast. Besides a bleeding hematoma, a cyst would be the only thing that would grow this fast. Most cysts just develop for no reason at all, although trauma can play a part in some of them. Usually cysts are benign but can get infected. If not painful, I would try applying a cold pack to the swelling for 10-15 minutes to see if you can get it to stop increasing in size. If it stops growing and it not bothering him, just keep an eye on it tonight and have your vet check it out tomorrow. If the mass keep growing tonight and is getting really large, you might want to have your nearest emergency vet take a look at it. Although these conditions are rarely an emergency, it may rupture and get messy if it continues to grow. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian