Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

what can i give my dog for cough

what can i give my dog for cough
Submitted: 7 years ago via Answerly.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

Coughing in dogs may have many causes, including, but not limited to, heartworm disease, cardiomyopathy, a respiratory infection, and kennel cough, so it would be best if you could have him evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible, so he can be diagnosed and treated most appropriately. You can read more about coughing, here:
http://www.2ndchance.info/cough.htm

Dogs are able to take regular, plain Robitssin DM (but, never a 'multi-symptom' cough medicine including a decongestant like pseudoephedrine) for coughing; read here about dosage and possible side effects: http://www.vetpets.net/animaltimes/humandrugs.html

It is not recommended to give your dog over the counter medications without first consulting with his vet.

For the moment, you can run a humidifier (with no added medication) in the room he spends the most time in, and the moist air might help with the coughing.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy!

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'Accept' and leave positive feedback; if you need additional information, please click 'Reply'. Thanks for the opportunity to be of help.

Best wishes,
Cher

Edited by Cher on 3/21/2010 at 6:58 AM EST