Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been sleeping all day. Went outside in the a.m.,

Customer Question
came in slept. At about...
My dog has been sleeping all day. Went outside in the a.m., came in slept. At about 10 a.m., I fed her. She did not finish it, left a few bites - normal. Went outside briefly and went back her corner where she sleeps in the living room. She actually has two places and has moved from place to place. She is ignoring her treats & us. I rang the bell to get her up. She got up, barked, wagged her tail, no one was at the door, and went back to lay down. Her nose is warm. Sunday, she had some stool stuck to her hair (long haired dog) and I am thinking she might have had an upset stomach. It is very windy outside and no one has been outside really. My mother says she is okay but to me she seems lethargic. Yesterday, her activity level was normal but now I am just wondering. I was going to take her to our vet tomorrow afternoon if there was no change but I can't stop worrying now. I almost lost her once because of a virus and so I am just paranoid. She is 10 years old.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Dog
3/9/2010
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

HiCustomer

The weather would not have her acting lethargic. I would check her gums and make sure they are pink and moist. If they are pale, white, gray or blue she needs immediate help.

I would take her temperature rectally and make sure she does not have a fever. A fever can indicate an infection in the body.

The not eating is another worry it can signify an upset stomach or a blockage of the intestines. If she eats any non food items such as rawhides, bones, greenies, bully stick, toys, etc. then I would worry more of an obstruction.

If she eats any fatty human food such as pork, steak, etc, then pancreatitis can come into play.

If she has gotten into garbage then garbage toxicosis would be cause for concern.

Obstruction (foreign body)

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-

dogs/page1.aspx

pancreatitis

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Garbage gut http://www.petplace.com/dogs/garbage-toxicosis-garbage-gut/page1.aspx

Customer,

nmormal body temperature for a dog is between 100.5 and 102.5. You can use any thermometer, if it is not a digital one then hold it in the rectum about two minutes.

She ate this morning, she has not gotten into trash, her gums have pink but a bit darkish, but not sure if that is her normal. She had her teeth cleaned three weeks ago and was given a clean bill of health. She is a bit gassy. .

gas x can be given to dogs for excess gas as well can pepto bismol. since you are worried I am going to direct you to a site on how to take the normal vital signs of a dog. This may help you decide if something is not right.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I saw this website before I came here and it was not helpful and thought I would ask a vet. Thanks anyway

I can direct a vet to you, you have psoted in the dog area not the vet area, is that what you want me to do?

Yes, thank you
No problem. You will see an opt out by my name. This opens the question up. I do hope all is okay with your baby:)
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 7 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a veterinary surgeon who has been in small animal practice for quite a few years, Sally has asked me to contact you and I will be glad to talk things over with you a bit more.

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have your vet check your dog over at the next opportunity just to be on the safe side.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that she has less interest in eating and is lethargic that it is highly likely that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that antibiotics would be what is needed if your dog is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible. I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
I was intending to take her tomorrow. I call it WMS - worried mother syndrome. Ever since I almost lost her a couple of years ago due a serious viral infection, I am just ultra sensitive to changes in her behavior. She is a bit gassy and thought maybe she ate something to upset her stomach. I know the internet is challenging to give advice but I was trying to determine the animal ER or her vet in the morning. Thanks....I will try to rest but be on his doorstep 8 a.m.
Hello again,

No problem even I go to pieces if there is something wrong with one of my pets!

I have dealt with small animal emergencies over a number of years and from what you have told me so far I think you would be taking very little risk if you were just to sit things out until your regular vet is open. Of course if your dog deteriorates you can review this decision and then contact an ER vet sooner.

Good luck,

Scott