Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Just found out my dog has a dent on his right eye. It seems

Just found out my dog has a dent on his right eye. It seems to be bothering him. He is a Shihtzu and did not see it until today when I got him groomed because his hair was in his face. Is there anything that i can do? Will it heal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. WHen you say that there's a "dent", do you mean that there's a visible depression in the clear part of the eyeball?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the groomer noticed it and showed me. The white area around his eye is red also.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. This sounds like it may be a Corneal Ulcer, which is a serious condition that commonly affects dogs, and it can cause vision loss and severe pain if not treated promptly. In fact, if not treated rapidly, this ulcerated area can actually become a more severe problem known as a "Descemetocele", which is a bulging of the inner membrane of the cornea, and the next step after that is rupture of the eyeball. I would have to recommend that you get this little guy to a veterinarian today, in order to have this eye properly evaluated, and the correct treatment can be begun. Most of these cases will heal with topical antibiotic ointments and pain medication, but occasionally more aggressive surgical treatment is required.