Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

how much culturelle should i give my dog

how much culturelle should i give my dog?
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How heavy is your dog? { Pounds }

2. Is he otherwise bright and happy?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Edited by Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS. on 2/12/2010 at 3:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, Dr. Nimmo.
My dog is about 45LBS and is normally very bright and happy. He's still fairly energetic. His appetite seems good. He preferred the beef over the chicken.
Thanks for the quick reply.

In direct reply to your question : Culturelle is a probiotic and these are very safe and sometimes used in dogs, 1/4 tablet given on the human basis would not hurt your dog and may do good. A teaspoon of live yogurt added to the food can often help on the same basis. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Assuming your dog is otherwise bright and happy you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Of course if this does not quickly start to work or if your dog deteriorates you should see your vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS