Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

How can I tell if my dog is getting enough to eat He is always

How can I tell if my dog is getting enough to eat? He is always looking for more food.

That will be up to your vet. I would schedule an examination. Record his weight. Have the vet compare it to previous weight's. If holding steady, that is a positive indicator.

Next, the vet should assign him a body condition score (BCS). This helps a vet to determine if they are an ideal weight based on their confirmation, or if they appear over or under.

Lots of pets are always looking for food, and obesity is a horrible problem in veterinary medicine.

So, have your vet evaluate him first to see his weight trends and if his body condition is adequate.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HIS WEIGHT HAS BEEN STEADY BUT REGURGITATION IS GETTING MORE FREQUENT. HE HAS HAD ALL POSSIBLE TESTS EXCEPT FOR A BARIUM SWALLOW.I'M NOT SURE ANYMORE ABOUT WHAT TO DO FOR THIS AND HE SEEMS SO HUNGRY. WILL THE BARIUM SWALLOW GIVE ME ANY MORE INFO THAN I ALREADY HAVE. EMD AND IBD BY BX

This changes your initial question A LOT.

Yes, a barium study would be helpful to assess for motility disorders of the esophagus, lower esophageal sphincter problems, and for megaesophagus (a dilated esophagus). Scoping (endoscopy) could also be helpful.

Helpful medications to discuss with your doctor includes metoclopramide or cisapride, which are motility enhances to help empty the stomach quicker.

Also, feed from an elevated food and water bowl.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HE HAS BEEN SCOPED AND HE HAS A SMALL DILATED AREA OF HIS ESOPHAGUS. I ALWAYS FEED UPRIGHT BUT HE STILL HAS A DIFFICULT TIME WITH WATER. WOULD THESE MEDS HELP IF THE PROBLEM IS UPPER ESOPHAGUS? OR DO I STILL BOOK THE BARIUM SWALLOW? I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT MORE INFO I WILL GET WITH THIS TEST SINCE THEY CAN SEE ON ENDOSCOPY THE AREA OF HIS ESOPHAGUS THAT IS AFFECTED.I'M SORRY IF THIS SEEMS REPETITIVE I JUST WANT TO FEED HIM PROPERLY WITHOUT FREQUENT REGURGITATION SO I'M LOOKING FOR ANOTHER OPINION. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

Well a dilated esophagus allows food contents to sit longer in the esophagus. bad.

This is very different than an actual motility disorder. They need to see how much barium makes it to the stomach, or is it being regurgitated in the esophagus. If it never makes it to the stomach, the cisapride may not be helpful.

Definitely, barium is a good next step.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would this be called megaesophagus even if it's not seen on xray? or b/c it is a small area that is dilated it's considered esophageal motility disorder and that sounds less severe.

Sorry, that I can't answer. They are two different conditions, and I really can't even account for the finding of a "small area" of dilation. Generally, a megaesophagus can be seen clearly on an x-ray. The barium is to diagnosis a motility disorder. In a way, a megaesophagus could be grouped into motility disorders.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. I think I will have the barium swallow and maybe then I'll have a definitive diagnosis and some solutions. Again Thank you
Your welcome.
Best of Luck with the test, and hopefully, some answers to work with...