Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

what to do if your dog gets hit by a car

11/22/2009
Bradley
Bradley, Certified Veterinary Technician

HelloCustomer

How old is she and what breed?? (Small/large)

What is her rectal temp? (Very important)

Did you see this happen?

How long has it been?

Does she get up on her own? Is she coherent?

Eating/Drinking? Urinated/Bowel movements?

Sorry I am asking a bunch of questions but they are all very important.

Thank you.

She's about six months old and a mut - probably some rotweiler shepherd. Shes about 40 pounds.

I don't have a rectal thermometer so I used an oral thermometer and kept it in for about 5 minutes. Her temp is 102 F.

I didn't see it happen although I was outside at the time. My friends said she rolled, but didn't see exactly what part of her was hit, either.

It happened about 45 minutes ago. She ran home on her own and seemed coherent. Now she's resting. She didn't resist the thermometer.

She drank soon after the accident and licked her muzzle when I wet it with my fingers. right now, but she won't lick it now. She seems alert and stretches her body between periods of resting. No interest in food. No urination or defecation.

Her temp seems to be good as of right now. That can change at any moment. Sometimes after a traumatic experience like this, they go into shock where their temperture drops and her gums are pale. Earlier you described that her gums were pink. Just keep an eye on them. Make sure they do not get too red like a strawberry. When you push on her gum and you see the white finger print, make sure it does not stay white for more than two seconds. This is called capilary refill time. The time it takes for her Red Blood Cells to refill. It would mean that she might be losing blood internally if it stays white a little longer. When you look at her gums, also take note on if they are dry or not. If they become dry, she is becoming dehydrated and try to get her to drink fluids as much as she can.

Keep an eye out for her to urinate and examine it for blood. Her bladder could be bruised. In this case only time will heal a bruise. If she keeps drinking water and doesn't urinate til tomorrow, there is a chance that her bladder has ruptured. Keep an eye out on her bowel movements. Same things applies to her colon as it does to her bladder although her fecal has alot of blood, that could mean a tear as well. In this case, you need to take her to an emergency clinic to be evaluated.

If the impact of the car pushed her really hard, it could have caused something called a diaphramatic hernia. Here is more information on that and what to watch for.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4524168_recognize-treat-diaphragmatic-hernia-dogs.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2090&aid=263

As far as her leg goes, there could be a break in there since she is not bearing any weight on it. I am sure she is painful and very uncomfortable. As for her pain, You can give 1/2 a buffered aspirin. Only give once daily.Usually I don't recommend giving aspirin in this situation because of the fear of internal bleeding. If you do all that I have recommeded at the top, and she seem to appear normal, then you can give the aspirin. I know she hurts and I would hate to be without pain medication if I was in her shoes right now.

If things become worse and her breathing is more shallow and she becomes pale, please take her to your nearest emergency clinic. This could mean that she has internal bleeding or something of that sort.

Tomorrow she should be able to eat and drink more. Right now she needs to rest. She will be more painful tomorrow. Things always hurt worse the day after.

All of my suggestions are things to be aware of and to look for. Without me seeing the dog, I can not make a judgement on her pain level or her quality of life. Use your judgement to know how bad she is and when to take her to an emergency clinic.

Hope this has been helpful and please let me know how she does. I will be praying for the little girl. Keep me posted. Thank you

Bradley
Should I be concerned that the whites of her eyes are red?

That could mean head trauma. If she begins to have seizures, then yes, would take her to the emergency clinic. This could represent swelling in the brain. She would need IV anti-inflammatories and IV fluids. Sometimes with head trauma, they can show signs the next day. Inflammation can take time to set in and for the side effects to show. Once again, head trauma can be very serious. There is a chance that it is a small bursted vein, in this case, it will heal on its own. It all depends on how bloody the eye appears.

Evaluate her this morning and see how she acts. She will be a little tender because bruising does hurt worse the next day. Offer her some food and water and watch for the urination and bowel movements. If she is doing all of these, your little girl should be ok.

Let me know how she looks this morning.

Bradley

Thanks for your help. She's almost back to normal today; running outside (on three feet still won't use her right front). I'll still take her to a vet on Tuesday unless she's started to put weight on it. Thanks again for your help. It provided me a sense of control.

Oh you are so very welcome and thank you sooo much for getting back to me. It is so good to hear that she is doing well. Once they get out of the "Shock Phase", dogs tend to do very well. Please take her to the vet tomorrow about that foot. It probably is broken and depending where and how fractured, depends on what is next. Thank you so much for letting me know how she is feeling. I was so worried about the little girl.

If you think about it, keep me posted once again on how the vet trip goes and what he finds.

Honestly, she is blessed to have only a broken foot. :)

Bradley
Bradley