ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

MY DOG IS TRYING TO ITCH HER EAR REALLY BAD. I THINK THERE

MY DOG IS TRYING TO ITCH HER EAR REALLY BAD. I THINK THERE IS LIQUID MAYBE DRAINING FROM EAR. VET CAN'T SEE ME FOR A WEEK. WHAT CAN I DO FOR HER
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable. Dogs do often have bacterial or yeast infections in their ears. In older dogs, of course, ruptured tumors can also be a cause of drainage. If this drainage is excessive and you feel the ear is painful, or if you see any blood draining, it is best to not treat at home and get your dog in on emergency.

If you feel this is just infection, then I would definitely clean the ears by using an ear cleaner specifically made for dogs, available from any pet supply store or online catalog or vet. Make sure the canal is filled, then massage the base of the ear well but gently, then allow your dog to shake the excess debris out. Wipe the exterior gunk off. Wash the ears once daily, but VERY gently.

You are eventually going to need an antibiotic or anti-fungal from the vet, depending on what the culprit is causing this. The vet will put a sample under the microscope to determine this. The day of your vet exam, don't clean the ears that morning, so some debris will be built up for a good sample.

Until then, continue cleaning daily and do your best to discourage scratching and further irritating the ears. I've included a link here (scroll down) to see how to properly clean the ears in case needed:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1591&articleid=273

Best of luck. Let me know if I can help further.

Christine