Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

is there a way to calm a male dog when a female dog is in heat

Customer Question

is there a way to calm a male dog when a female dog is in heat he is about to drive me in sane
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

Hi

It is often hard to contor a male dog when an in heat female is around.

Try seperating them either by a gate or placing them in seperate rooms.

You can also try using rescue remedy(all natural calming agent) most pet stores and natural food store carry this.

Since it seems you are trying to keep them apart I am assuming you do not intend to breed if that is the case I highly recommand for the health of your pets to have them spayed and neutered

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this feamle is only 7 months old and weighs 7 pds the male is a bassethound he weighs close to 50 pds i don't think letting them breed would be wiseand yes the female is going to be fixed as soon as she goes out , teh male dog has been put in different rooms it doesn't help and when i take her out of the house for the day he has chewed threw my bedroom door the garage door i have washed linens every day mopped nothing is helping thanks
Expert:  Candy replied 7 years ago.

Try the rescue remedy it should be strong enough to calm him down. this product is great I use it on my own pets during thunderstorms.

If this does not work I recommand contacting your vet to see if they will give you a mild seditive.