Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Are Sea Grapes (coccoloba) poisonous to dogs

Customer Question
?...
Are Sea Grapes (coccoloba) poisonous to dogs ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
9/30/2009
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

HiCustomer

I don't see them on the dangerous or toxic to dog list which you can find here. Of course no list may be complete until something has been documented to have caused a problem but this list seems pretty long.

This is the plant I think you are talking about. (12th one down)http://www.ardastra.com/bahamasplantinfo.html

And here is the list of toxic plants.

http://www.sniksnak.com/plants-toxic.html

I would say that if you see the dogs acting ill then grab a sample of the plant and take them both to your vet or call the poison control hot line as they do deal with this more than vets do.

1-800-213-6680.
Pet Poison Helpline.

I agree with your answer....I just know grapes in general are toxic and can cause kidney failure. But since these are of a different variety....I was hoping for a specific answer and there may not be one. I have already searched the toxic plant list and even consulted a master gardener who thinks not. But I don't know that he knows specifically about dogs.

Yes, you found the correct plant.

I don't think you will have to worry, I think it is just the name of the plant, I don't believe they are the grapes you are thinking of. Yes the grapes we eat can cause kidney failure and they would have to be eaten in a large quantity, at least a pound, however raisins are more concentrated so it would take less to cause a problem.

Just so you know.....there are grapes that grow on this plant and people do make jams and jellies out of them but they do have a more sizable pit to them. But I am glad to know that it has to be in large quantity and that raisins are more concentrated. Thank you very much

You are welcome. For now just keep an eye out for any signs of change such as listlessness , vomiting, lack of appetite. Now another problem if enough are eaten is that they may cause a blockage if the pits were eaten. You would see the same signs as above.

Here is information on regular grapes and raisins.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

In reading further it does say to watch all grapes the dog eats, now you are telling me people make jams out of these which I was unaware of, so if large amounts were eaten then call the poison control hotline or your vet. In finding another site on this plant it led me to the site below which still says the dog would have to ingest 32 grams, just over one pound, for toxic results, but you may want to induce vomiting if they have eaten a lot .within the last two hours.

although this site is not specific to the plant you mention it is specific to grapes.

http://tripatlas.com/Grape_and_raisin_toxicity_in_dogs

Edited by Sally Grott on 9/30/2009 at 9:11 PM EST
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant