How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bully Breeder Your Own Question
Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1792
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Bully Breeder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi my golden retriver eat some rat poison a few months ago

Resolved Question:

Hi my golden retriver eat some rat poison a few months ago we took him to the vet an he pumped his stomach out said he would be ok . he seemed fine but now his skin under his neck has went all black an his fur is falling out is this something to do with the poison it is starting to spread onto his back as well
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 8 years ago.
Hello, it sounds more like a possible yeast or fungal infection rather than a poison thing at this point. If you use a nylon collar or some sort of cloth collar it may have gotten dirty and or wet and started to attract a fungus with in the color. The best thing to do is to remove the collar and wash and or bleach it to rid it of any of the possible fungus. Then you will need to take your baby to the vet for some possible antibiotics and or spray to take care of the fungus or yeast. While you are there you should also run some blood work to rule out any possible issues that may be lurking with in your baby from the poison. Usually the poison will effect internal organs like liver and kidneys and more than likely effect your babies ability to clot blood. I would check his blood work to make sure that all of his organs are functioning properly. You will also need to get the area on the neck treated so that it does not spread much more and you have more of an area to treat which can turn out to be more expensive. Shampoos made for yeast and fungal infections will also need to be used and can be obtained form your vet as well. I hope this will help but let me know if you need anything else.
Bully Breeder and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you