Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog has bumps all over his body they look like bug bites

Customer Question

my dog has bumps all over his body they look like bug bites but all over his body what should i do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Did these appear suddenly?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i would say with in two days or so
Thanks for the quick reply.

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset appearance of hives or bumps on your dog's body is typical of an allergic reaction. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy, often to an insect bite.

I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK . However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the symptoms would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

If your dog is unwell at all or there are other symptoms other than the skin hives or it does not quickly resolve you should consult your vet as soon as is practicable.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so would it be ok to wait before i take him to a vet to see if it goes down or is something i need to take care asap
Hello again,

As long as your dog is otherwise bright, happy and acting normally and the condition is not deteriorating you would be taking very little risk in sitting things out for a couple of days longer to see how it goes. Most allergies will subside ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you soooooo much for your time and help you were great and i will use this program in the future

thanks again

margarita castillo

No problem, glad to advise you.

Regards,

Scott