Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 7 month old maltipoo is very hyper.I try keeping him in

Customer Question
a calm state and play...
My 7 month old maltipoo is very hyper.I try keeping him in a calm state and play and walk him but this is an issue. He behavior in not acceptable around people or my grandchildren. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
8/6/2009
Dog Specialist: Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience replied 8 years ago
Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Hi Dawna,

With a young puppy like this, YOU have to establish yourself as the 'pack leader'; dogs are pack animals and need a leader to listen to and look up to, so you're going to train your puppy to listen to your commands and when he gets too rambunctious, you're going to remind him, and he will learn in this way, to modify his behavior. The detailed information at the sites below, will help:

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/training.html
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/control3.html

"Disciplining a young puppy may be necessary if his behavior threatens people or property, but harsh punishment should be avoided. Hand clapping and using shaker cans or horns can be intimidating enough to inhibit undesirable behavior, though remote punishment is preferred. Remote punishment consists of using something that appears unconnected to the punisher to stop the problem behavior. Examples include using spray bottles, throwing objects in the direction of the puppy to startle (but not hit) him, and making loud noises. Remote punishment is preferred because the puppy associates punishment with the undesirable act and not with you." From:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/puppies.html

In addition to your home-training, you might consider enrolling your puppy in obedience school, where you will learn how to carry out these exercises from a licensed and experienced trainer.

Continue practicing 'calm' behavior when your puppy is at home with you, in a non-exciting situation, and soon he will learn to obey your commands when he gets too excited around people and/or your grandchildren.

I hope things go well with your furry boy.

Cher
Cher

What would I put in the spray bottle if water didn't work? ex; vinegar and water?

He has been neutered recently.Will this help calm him down?

He loves people but he is off the scale with excitment when around them.

Could any herbs help?

Hi again, Dawna, and thanks for your reply and your accept.

I'm glad you mentioned he has been neutered recently; yes, this will help him calm down.

I would suggest only putting plain water in the spray bottle, but you can also use the can of pennies/pebbles, technique, and remember to stand out of sight, so he associates the BEHAVIOR and not YOU, with the startling noise. Keep him on a leash/harness in the house, when you have visitors, so you can control his movements and do your training with him.

The only homeopathic product I would recommend is Rescue Remedy for Pets. Just one or two drops in his water or as directed on the bottle.

http://www.entirelypets.com/rescueremedypet.html

Cher (please do not click 'accept' an additional time, as I'm happy to follow up with you)

Thank you .I probably misused the keys.I am good at that.

My follow up questions are:

pup was recently neutered: is it true this may calm him down? and how soon should I see this?

could I add something to water bottle if plan water doesn't work?

Is there herbs I could use?

Are there safe tranquilizers for times I am around my grandchildren with pup?

Hi again, Dawna, and you're most welcome; thanks for your reply and your accept.

I'm glad you mentioned he has been neutered recently; yes, this will help him calm down; it sometimes takes a couple of months for the testosterone in his system to be completely out, after neutering.

I would not recommend any other sedative medications for one so young, but you can discuss this with your veterinarian, who knows your pup's medical history.

Thank you for being so understanding. Your answers do give me something to work with. I was getting discouraged. Is there a way I can give another rating on this website? I would use it again and I am satisfied with my services.
Hi again, Dawna, and you're very welcome. I'm so glad I could be of help and give you the right 'tools' to work with, in training your puppy.

It's always nice to hear good things from pet-parents, and you can leave positive feedback for me, if you haven't already done so, and also send a 'Customer Compliment', through Customer Service, by writing to:[email protected]

Thanks again, and best of luck with your furry boy!

Cher
My husband just got in from work. He asked if I got info concerning house breaking. Tanner is still not house broke. He sleeps in his crate and never goes in there.I take him out many times a day. He still squats and pees at random times in the house.I have blocked off his favorite room for pooping in. ha. Actually, it is not funny any more. Any advice?
Hi Dawna,

Yes, I can help with advice on housetraining, and you can get a great overview, here:
http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/housetraining.html

So far, you're doing very well, keeping him in his crate at night, to prevent accidents, plus taking him out many times a day, and blocking off the room he likes to poop in.

Follow the instructions at the link above, and keep in mind that consistency is key; keep doing the same things over and over and he will learn; developing good habits is very important, and puppies respond well to consistent training and will then follow rules. Reward good behavior and elimination in the right places, and Tanner will seek out your positive reinforcement and want to please you, to get his reward. Just make sure you give clear signals and read 'his' signals, so you know when he needs to go out.

Cher

Cher
Cher