NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

my dog has a little red spot thing growing above his nose

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

How old is your dog?

What kind of dog is this?

Does the spot look like a wart with a rough surface or is more a smooth topped pimple type spot?

Is it up under the eye area or on the margin where nose meets muzzle?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he is five years old he is a jack russel and it is more smooth and it is on the margin where nose meets muzzule
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.

With a sore in that spot in an middle aged dog I'd plan a vet visit for him as potentially it might be a tumor. It could also be a simple infection and you can try using some Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment in case its from him poking his nose somewhere and ending up with a small infection from a puncture.

You mght also want to check here to see if it looks like a viral papilloma which can show up on the margin around the nose in addtion to along the lips and gums

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html

You can also read here about more causes of lumps in dogs

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1593&aid=424

Hope this helps you!