Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

My 9 month old german shepherd has a top overshot jaw, will

My 9 month old german shepherd has a top overshot jaw, will this change
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 8 years ago.
Hello, It is possible that the jaw structure will shift as her head gets larger and she matures some but it is also possible that it will remain the same. Some times genetics (family history) plays a large role in how the dog will develop. If either her mother or father was overshot in the jaw then she runs a higher risk of developing that same feature. I would try and wait it out for a little while longer but if you do not see a change in the jaw with in a month or 2 then it is most likely that it will remain this way for the rest of her life. It should not give her any problems in life but if you are wanting to show or breed her it may pose a problems in the long run. Overall though it will not prevent her form being able to eat normally or anything like that. I hope this will help but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.