Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog just ate a bag of m&ms, which she stole off the count

Customer Question
My dog just ate a...
My dog just ate a bag of m&m's, which she stole off the counter. I understandthat chocolate can be deadly for dogs. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
7/11/2009
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How heavy is your dog { pounds }

2. What was the size of the bag of M&Ms { ounces }

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
My dog is a Shih Tzu-Poo and weighs 16 pounds. She ate about 4 - 6 ounces of m&m's.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Chocolate can be poisonous to dogs but they have to eat quite a lot, significantly more than your dog did. You have very little cause for concern here ...

In direct answer to your question : The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when two ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. As your Shih Tzu-Poo is 16 lb in weight she would have had to have swallowed around 22 ounces of milk chocolate before you would start to worry so the 6 ounces she did swallow will be very unlikely to affect her.

It would be wise to keep an eye on her just in case though and contact an emergency vet if you are worried, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. As I said symptoms would be unlikely.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Thank you. I will monitor her and hope that all will be well. Thank you for your help.
Hello again,

Thanks very much for the accept.

Regards,

Scott