Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

URINARY INCONTINENCE IN A 14 YEAR old AKITA...HIPS AND hind

Customer Question
URINARY INCONTINENCE IN A 14...
URINARY INCONTINENCE IN A 14 YEAR OLD AKITA. PROBLEM HAS BEEN FOR THREE WEEKS. ALSO HAS PROBLEMS IN HIPS AND HIND LEGS. BARELY CAN GET UP.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
7/3/2009
Dog Specialist: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 8 years ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

HiCustomer

Troble holding the urine can be caused urinary stones, Cystitis, Kidney Disease, Bladder Cancer, or Urinary Bacterial Infections.

Urinary Stones are common and found in the kidneys, bladder and urethra though usually they are in the bladder. The formation of crystals or stones in urinary tract can be caused by the following factors usually working together: mineral crystals in the urine, bacteria, diseases, some medications, excess Vitamin C, imbalance in pH of urine. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination of small amounts and blood in the urine. Some breeds are known to have problems with stones. These are Miniature Schnauzer, Schnauzer, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Miniature poodle, and Yorkshire terrier.

Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.

Kidney Disease is a common cause of non-accidental death in dogs. It is not clear what causes kidney disease but it is believed that dehydration, blood loss, impaired heart function, tumors, infections and toxins contribute to it. Some medications for kidney disease may cause blood in the urine.

Bladder cancer occurs in middle-aged and older dogs. Bladder cancer is not as common as other causes such as Urinary tract infections, though it is not recognized early for that same reason. Typical symptoms are frequent urination, urinating small amounts, blood in the urine, and infections.

Urinary bacterial infections can occur in bladder (most common), kidneys, urethra, and prostate. They are easily treated once diagnosed. They are the major cause of the prostate disease in male dogs. The prostate becomes inhabited by bacterial and it becomes difficult to eliminate. Some other conditions such as diabetes, cancer and viral diseases affect a dog's immune system and may contribute to this condition.

The best thing to do is to get your pup in to see a vet as soon as you can. Some of the possibilities for what is going on can end up being very painful or life threatening if left untreated.

I hope this helps!!

There is no blood in the urine. Seems to be no pain or straining to urinate. Drinks plenty of water. Kita is an inside pet and has never elimanited in the house until the incontinence. His flow is good.

That's the trouble with urine problems...not all of the signs are there 100% of the time. There could be such a minute amount of blood in the urine that you can't see it with the naked eye. There is a dipstick test that we do on urine that tells us if there is blood or not.

And he might not show pain or discomfort...I would absolutely have his urine tested...that's always the first step. IF it turns out that he's just got some urinary incontinence issues due to age, there are medications such as Proin or DES that can be used to help.

Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech