Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

My Dog had puppies 6 weeks ago...she is still bleeding, it

Customer Question

My Dog had puppies 6 weeks ago...she is still bleeding, it is not heavy but still coming out of her. It is red and there is no mucus present. It has not been continuous since she had the puppies but over the past couple days I have noticed the blood. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hi,Customer

Your dog would typically bleed for about 3-7 days after delivery, but she should not still be bleeding, due to the pregnancy/delivery, after 6-7 weeks. However, she could go back into heat 3-7 weeks after delivery, so the bleeding you are seeing now, may be due to her estrus cycle.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/breeding.html

If you haven't had her or the puppies vet-checked since she gave birth, this would be a good idea, now. It's also possible that she has developed a serious uterine infection called pyometra, which needs immediate vet attention.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/pyometra.html

I would not wait for 2 weeks to see your usual vet, if they can't accommodate you sooner. It's important to have her seen, ASAP, as you already realize, so call other local vets and see if they can fit you in. If she seems to exhibit any worsening symptoms, like decreased appetite, not drinking, not eliminating normally, difficulty breathing, pale gums, lethargy, have her evaluated at the nearest ER vet center, immediately. Also, if there's a possibility she IS in heat, make sure to keep her away from all unneutered males.

I hope all will be well with your mom and pups.

Cher
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.

I will call the vet as soon as possible and hopefully someone will be able to fit me in.
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
You're most welcome, and thanks very much for your accept and your reply.

I do hope you're able to get her seen, ASAP.

Cher