Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My female dog has a nasty fishy discharge that i notice every

Customer Question
couple months or so. Since...
My female dog has a nasty fishy discharge that i notice every couple months or so. Since she was a pup I have let her lay on the back of the couch and over time I've noticed this smell. When this happens she starts to lick the couch and this makes it worse. She has done this in my vehicle as well. Can you tell me what this is and how I can rectify the situation. PLEASE help as I now need to buy a new couch set and before I do I need answers.
Thank You
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
6/6/2009
Dog Specialist: Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert replied 8 years ago
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert

Dear Nicole,

I am sorry your girl is having this issue. It may be her anal sacks becoming blocked:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

It could also be a urinary tract infection.

You are absolutely correct to be concerned, Not only can recurring infections damage your baby's urinary tract but her immune system as well.

UTI's must be treated with an effective broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox or clidimycin and for a long enough duration so all bacteria is eradicated. If not, they will refluorish, stronger and more resistant and reinfect her. In addition, the bacteria can become tolerant of the same antibiotic so the medication should be varied for best results.

http://lbah.com/canine/urolithiasis.htm

http://www.naxcel.com/Health.asp?country=US&lang=EN&species=CN&drug=NX&index=631&parentID=0

http://www.mscc.ca/urolithiasis.html

She should also be encouraged to drink as much as possible to keep the kidneys and bladder flushed. You can give her one daily drop of unsweetened (only) cranberry juice. That will reduce the PH of her urine and make her bladder inhospitable to UTI bacteria.

It is also possible these events may be triggered by stones or crystals. She should have a urine analysis so you will know for sure. Sometimes bacteria does not show up. If so she should still complete a round of antibiotics.

I would also check for sugar just to rule out diabetes.

Please let me know if you still have questions and how your baby is feeling. I will be happy to help further.

I hope she feels better very soon.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Lola does not scootch across the floor is it safe to rule out the anal sac blockage?

Not all dogs scoot.

You can give Lola canned pumpkin to help her release her glands:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1087550/pumpkin_a_natural_remedy_for_constipation.html

"Fishy" smell usually indicates an infection so I would have her urine checked if you smell it again.

I hope she will be be feeling better very soon.

last question i swear LOL. Should i be trying the canberry juice and canned pumpkin & then wait for results or should i be having her urine checked now as this problem is currently going on and has been for a few days now? It usually goes away after a couple days but tends to come back every now & then.

Oh ask all the questions you like lol ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that is why I am here.

Lets try a half a tsp of cranberry juice every day for a week annd see if the smell disappears.

If it comes back she will need antibiotics to resolve the infection OR get her urine checked FIRST as the cranberry can affect the results of the test.

Best of luck to you,

Terri

Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
awesome thanks a bunch

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept. Sending as an I R so U R not charged again.

Best wishes,

Terri

Terri Riba
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert