ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

My Basset Hound is constipated What can I give him He weighs

My Basset Hound is constipated What can I give him? He weighs 50 lbs.
How can I get him to eat better?
I think he has allergies. His nose seems to run when he is sleeping, & he is snorting & sneezing? How can I help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry to here that Braney is having these issues.

My Basset Hound is constipated What can I give him? To help with constipation, 1-2 T of plain canned pumpkin can be given. If you suspect a bowel obstruction, a vet visit will be needed at once.

I think he has allergies. His nose seems to run when he is sleeping, & he is snorting & sneezing? How can I help him? In dogs, what appears to be allegies is often an infection. He may need 5-7 days of antibiotics as prescribed by your vet. In the event that it is allergies, Benadryl may be needed (consult with vet prior to use; dogs with certain health issues cannot use it).

Barney does not want to go into his crate. To help with this, try to make it a game. Take a KONG stuffed with treats and put it in there. Use plenty of positive reinforcement (priase etc), and try putting him in for short intervals (literaly in and out of a minute or two several times a day, then longer) as it will help him. An alternative is using babygates to divide off a section of the house.

I hope he's doing better with these issues soon.

Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"