Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a dachshund who was having constipation problems earlier

I have a dachshund who was having constipation problems earlier today. He was able to defecate some, but with difficulty. After returning home a little while ago, he is now having trouble walking and seems to be in pain. His stomach is very hard. Is there anything I can do to help relieve his problem. Is this something that needs immediate attention.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : From your description I am not sure that your dog is just constipated, having trouble walking for example is not typical and Dachshunds are very prone to back problems which could easily cause this symptom. Also while a hard stomach could be due to constipation other diagnosis is also possible. I think to be on the safe side you should have your vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

However If your dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a dog like yours would be around 4 ml twice a day given orally through a small syringe or similar.

On a home remedy basis one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try one table spoon twice a day for your dog.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having your vet check your dog over as further tests such as X-ray may be required to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your dog appears constipated.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS