Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

my 13 yeAR OLD JACK RUSSEL IS SHAKING AND PANTING HEAVILY,

my 13 yeAR OLD JACK RUSSEL IS SHAKING AND PANTING HEAVILY, AS THO HE IS IN PAIN OR SIMPLY ANXIOUS, HE IS DEAF AND HAS CATTARACTS
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 8 years ago.

This is Dr.Christian.

• Are there any other symptoms such as cough, weight loss, vomiting or diarrhea?
  • When did the symptoms start?
  • How much does he weigh?
  • Does he take any medications or have any medical conditions?
  • Are his gums pink or is there a blue or gray tinge?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HE COUGHS OCAsionaly, STARTED 3-4 MOS, AFTER HE WAS ATTACKED BY A LARGE DOG AND HAD NECK AND THROAT WOUNDS. HE IS HEAVY ABOUT 25 POUNDS, TAKES ANTIBIOTICS FOR 8 DAYS, GUMS PINK

Thank you for the information. Certainly his weight is worsening any underlying problem he has. There are several causes for panting and shaking:

• Nausea
  • Pain
  • Respiratory disease
  • Nervousness
  • Some medical conditions such as Cushing's disease
  • Reaction to the antibiotics

In this case I think we can rule out nausea, most medical conditions have been ruled out by bloodwork, and nervousness is probably out as well. That leaves pain, antibiotic reaction or a respiratory problem. Most antibiotic reactions will occur within the first few days so that may not be the cause. I'm concerned that there may be a respiratory problem going on and a recheck by your vet may be necessary to find the cause. Antibiotics should have improved the situation if an infection was the cause.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i BELIEVE IT IS PAIN AS IT COMES AND GOES, BUT HIS SHAKING HAS BEEN A WHIL. hE DOESENT APPEAR TO HAVE A BREATHING PROBLEM, AS THAT WOULD BE MORE CONSISTANT
Okay, that sounds reasonable to me. Try 1 and 1/2 of the 81mg aspirin tonight. If his symptoms improve then I would call your vet in the morning for safer long term medication. Aspirin is great for the short term but if he needs it for more than 3-4 days it can cause stomach ulcers and problems. It can be given every 12 hours.