Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

MY DOG IS COUGHING AND GAGGING WHAT IS WRONG

4/13/2009
NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care

It sounds like your dog might have either kennel cough

www.marvistavet.com/html/body_kennel_cough.html

or canine influenza

www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_influenza.html

Both of these are very easily picked up from another dog.

You can, if you think this is the problem see if some Robitussin DM will help the dog breathe better and control any cough or sneezing or runny nose. Read here about cautions and dose info

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm/page1.aspx

You can see and hear a dog with kennel cough here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amGKQX9zdug&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3RpoU0qXw

If you see a colored discharge from nose or eyes, if your dog coughs stuff up, seems lethargic, has any real trouble with breathing, or goes off eating, see your vet as your pet may have a secondary bacterial infection that will need antibiotics or other meds.

If your dog has not been on heartworm prevention a heartworm infection can cause this sort of coughing.

Some breeds of dogs including this one can have problems with their trachea which you can read about here

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tracheal_collapse.html

which can also cause coughing.

Hope this helps you!

NancyH
I have two other dogs in the house who are not showing symptoms. Is there anyway I can take measures to keep them from getting it? Or does that mean it is non-contageous and I should go see if something else is wrong? My dogs do not go to kennels and for the most part aren't really around other dogs other than the ones on the other side of the fence but they are not friendly with other dogs and they don't get close to them. None of them take meds for heartworm and they are not up to date on there shots. We love them so much and I'm afraid for my older one to get sick. (10years).

They have likely been exposed and if they are going to get it may be incubating it.

But dogs all have different immune systems so one dog might get really ill and another seem hardly ill at all with these upper respiratory issues. I'm sure you know people who get really ill when they get a cold and others who barely seem sick and its the same with dogs and their upper respiratory viruses.

Kennel cough is passed around by airborne droplets from sneezing etc. Its easy for a kennel full of dogs to get it and pass it along but any dog can pass it to any other dog no kenneling required.

If you live in an area where heartworm is a problem then they should be tested and put on prevention. It is far cheaper to do prevention than to try to treat heartworm. You can read about heartworm here

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/heartworm.html

If cash flow is an issue, check with your local humane society to see if there is local low cost vet care, ask your vet if you can do time payments or here are some groups that might help you afford the vet bills:

American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/
" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
http://www.angels4animals.org/
"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment
to those pets and pet owners in need."

Care Credit
http://www.carecredit.com/
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every
budget." They have a zero interest program if you pay within a certain time frame and they list the vets who work with their product.

God's Creatures Ministry
http://www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html
"This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

Help-A-Pet
http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html http://www.help-a-pet.org/
"Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
working poor."

IMOM
http://www.imom.org/
"We are dedicated to insure that no
companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker
is financially challenged."

The Pet Fund
http://thepetfund.com/
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that
provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need
urgent veterinary care."

United Animal Nations
http://www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html
"The m ission of LifeLine is to help homeless or recently rescued
animals suffering from life-threatening conditions that require
specific and immediate emergency veterinary care. We strive to serve
Good Samaritans and rescue groups who take in sick or injured
animals. In certain cases, LifeLine can also assist senior citizens
and low-income families pay for immediate emergency veterinary care." They also keep a list of local and national help resources here
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=163

NancyH
NancyH