Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
12905457

small dog ate small amount of marijuana

Customer Question

small dog ate small amount of marijuana
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

How much does your dog weigh?

How old is he/she?

How long ago was this eaten?

How is your dog doing now?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
weighs about 4 lbs, she is about 3 months old, maybe about two hours ago, I wasn't there, she is very sluggish
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
can you help me please
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
It is rare for dogs to die from marijuana ingestion. However, your dog is quite small and young and will undoubtabely show symptoms of having consumed THC (the active ingredient in pot). Too much time has passed (and she is drowsy) so it is not really safe for you to induce vomiting at home. The concern for your dog is the potential for seizures, dangerous changes in heart rate, and even quite elevated body temperature can occur. The safest option at this point is to bring her to an emergency clinic for monitoring and supportive care.

Dr. Beth
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we live in a small town, no emergency hours for vet. what can I do?
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
You can try to make your puppy vomit if she is not too drowsy. If you have 3% hydrogen peroxide, give her 1/2 tsp by mouth. If it is going to work, she should vomit within 15 minutes.

Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
How has she responded?