Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

My dog ate some bologna tape, you know, the red stuff that

Customer Question

My dog ate some bologna tape, you know, the red stuff that goes around a piece of bologna. She has thrown some up and has passed some as well but she's still lethargic. Is she in danger or will she pass the rest?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.

Hi Beckysue,

This "tape" is not toxic but if she ate a lot she can get a blockage in her GI tract.

How much did she eat?

How long ago?

Any vomiting?

Has she had a normal stool?

How much does she weigh?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm not sure how much she ate but yes she has thrown up a lot it and has passed some as welll,

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AS DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY RIGHT NOW DUE TO LOSING MY JOB.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

OH SORRY, SHE'S 6 POUNDS AND YES HER STOOL IS NORMAL

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

SHE ATE IT LAST NIGHT SOME TIME, SHE GOT IT OUT OF THE GARBAGE CAN

Dear XXXXXsue,

She is a small dog so we have to watch her carefully for any constipation or further vomiting.

Immediately give her some spongy food like cottage cheese,fiber bread, pasta, mashed potatoes to try and push it through. You can also put a dollup of plain vaseline on her paw for her to lick off. ASAP sprinkle a half teaspoon of metimucil on her food just in case of anything jagged That will make a cocoon around it and protect her GI tract.

It can take up to 30 hours to pass it. Keep an eye on her stool to make sure she does. If she develpes any constipation or abdominal pain, lethargy or pale gums blood in stool or in vomit she should be seen ASAP or will not eat or vomits food back up.

I will be here so please let me know how she is and when it passes.

I hope your baby will be fine.

Very sincerely,

Terri