Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Pug: Within the last year he became blind & deaf.

I have a Pug who is 5 years old. Within the last year he became blind & deaf. He isn't the happy pug he use to be. have taken him to vets but he is not any better. He is urinating more somtimes in the house. He is always sleeping. Please advise Thank you Ann Cupelli
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

I had a 13 year old shephard once that was blind and deaf. She actually had a pretty good quality of life despite being blind and deaf and was able to navigate around the home and yard exceptionally well due to a good sense of smell. However, once she lost her sense of smell, she was no longer able to move around on her own and her quality of life was extremely poor. At this point, we had to make the difficult decision to have her euthanized.

Of course, only you and your vet can determine the quality of life your boy has and determine what action to take. If the quality of life is still good and your dog enjoys some activities with you and isn't in any pain, I would continue treating your boys conditions. If his urination has increased, you may want to have him checked for a urinary tract infection since frequent urination, and accidents can be symptoms of a UTI. I hope this information helps you make an informed decision.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It looks like his head is getting smaller, to big for his body.. I se blood in his stool. Thank you Ann
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
also feel his head is getting smaller. He sometimes has blood in his stool. Do you think he is in pain.