Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

My 7yr old Bichon still pees on on things in the house. Tried

My 7yr old Bichon still pees on on things in the house. Tried everything,now I put a diaper on but he remand determined to lift his leg in many places. Any reasons you can tell me why?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question!

• How long has your dog done this for?
  • Is the problem getting worse?
  • Is he neutered?

Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
4 yrs not worse just the same he is neutered
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He will pee on anything touching the floor. Even bed spreads,which I had to stop using. Legs of table, chairs etc
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

OK, thanks for that info!

The first thing I would do is to have your vet do a check on his urine. A good number of dogs with inappropriate urination actually have crystals in their bladder or a chronic infection or bladder stones. If this is the case then he can be treated medically.

If not, the best thing to fix this is strict crate training which you can read about here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1694

Most dogs will not urinate in the crate. If he does, you will need to put something such as a bunch of pillows in the crate to block off one end. Dogs will rarely urinate in an enclosed space. And then, he only comes out when it is time to go to the bathroom. If you do this for a few weeks and then gradually allow more and more free time this usually solves the problem.

Another thing you can do is to talk to your vet about a behavioural drug called clomicalm which often helps with problems like this.

Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What does this medicine CLOMICALM do? Using a crate if not feasable. He is way too spoiled to enclose him in a crate. Also he just had his check up and it perfect.for his age Could this be territory marking?
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

This is a hard problem to solve without doing crate training! Especially if it has been going on for years.

The clomicalm is similar to an anti-depressant. It helps with anxiety which is often a cause for urine marking.

I have found some more info for you that may help with some other ideas on training for you:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2284

I would also highly urge you to have his urine tested!

Dr. Marie.