How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terri Riba Your Own Question
Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 32666
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Terri Riba is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog got up to the table and ate a whole box of Milk Duds.

Resolved Question:

My dog got up to the table and ate a whole box of Milk Duds. I hear that chocolate is poisonous for dogs. Is this true?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.

Hi Melinda,



You do not have to worry about chocolate toxicity from this candy if the actual amount of chocolate is very minimal(see below) .It is not necessay to have him throw up but save this link for future reference:

Dog's WeightAmount of Milk ChocolateAmount of Unsweetened ChocolateApprox. MG of Theobromide
5 lbs.4 oz.1/2 oz.200
10 lbs.8 oz.1 oz.400
20 lbs.16 oz.2 1/2 oz.900
30 lbs.1 1/4 lbs.3 3/4 oz.1300
40 lbs.2 1/2 lbs.4 1/2 oz.1800
50 lbs.3 lbs.5 1/2 oz.2250
60 lbs.3 3/4 lbs.6 3/4 oz.2700
70 lbs.4 3/4 lbs.8 1/2 oz.3400



Just feed himsome very spongy food like bread, cheese, mashed potaoes, etc.

He could get diarrhea from the sugar. If he does,he can have Immodium, kayopectate or any OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.

If he developes any constipation or abdominal pain he should see a vet.. It can take up to 36 hours to pass it all so just monitor his stool til then

Please let me know how he is doing.I will always be here for you.

Your baby should be fine.

Sincerest best wishes,


Terri Riba and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you