Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi Dr. Andy My great dane has some sores in his toes that

Hi Dr. Andy: My great dane has some sores in his toes that just won't heal. I have take him to the vet and she prescribed some antibiotics (cephalexin 500mg) and we are almost done with the treatment now but he keeps liking the spots so it just doesn't seem to get better. I have bandaged it, put antibacterial (neosporine) every day, no chew tape, you name it. Thanks for your advice in this matter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 years ago.
Sorry to hear about the paws.
it is a double edge sword because the feet licking keeps the foot moist and predisposes to the pododermatitis (foot infection).
Now, this is not always only a bacterial infection. It can very frequently be a yeast infection or both. Therefore, what you really need is someone to take an impression smear from between the paws and look under a microscope to see if it's yeast, bacterial or both.

Next, we need to treat the underlying condition which is exacerbating the foot licking in the first place.
This can be a number of things from behavioral, to something stuck in the paw, and most likely primary allergies (food or environmental).
Therefore, it may be necessary to discuss with your vet perhaps a tentative treatment plan for allergies to see if that helps the licking. This could include antihistamines or a trial on some steroids to get the licking to stop.

Hope that helps.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.