Dr. Schillig
Dr. Schillig, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Dr. Schillig has been practicing veterinary medicine for over 10 years.
14047027

why does my dog itch and go around in circles on his butt

why does my dog itch and go around in circles on his butt? I use advantage 9 once a month on him. he seems to have allergies and we have spent lots of money on him. he is 2 and is a King Charles. Is there any thing I am missing I shoud be doing? Mrs. Cooper
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Schillig replied 8 years ago.

Hello Mrs. Cooper,

I am sorry to hear that your dog is having these problems.

Many times, allergies will show up like you are describing, with a dog itching, so he would lick or chew, or even drag himself to scratch himself.

Here is a link to an article on allergies and itching in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2604

There can also be a problem with the anal glands that causes this itching, particularly at the anus, and will cause a dog to scoot his botXXXXX XXXXXke you describe.

Here is a link to an article on anal gland problems:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

We can also see dogs scooting the back end along the ground in instances of intestinal parasite infestations. Having a fecal sample tested with your veterinarian is always a good idea!

I hope this helps!

As always, if you have further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask them using the "reply" function.

Thank you,

Dr. Schillig