How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20268
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate chocolate cake about 3 cupcakes. She weighs

Customer Question

My dog just ate chocolate cake about 3 cupcakes. She weighs 70lbs. She is a german shepard. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

You have done right to make your dog vomit with the peroxide, however it is unlikely that three cup cakes would have enough chocolate content in them to affect as 70 lb dog.

Of course chocolate in certain circumstances can be toxic to dogs, the rule of thumb I personally apply is that signs of toxicity can occur when 1/3 ounce of dark chocolate per pound of your dog's body weight is eaten and severe signs occur when one ounce per pound of body weight is eaten. However milk chocolate is much less of a problem and is less toxic.

It would then be common sense to monitor your dog and consult a vet if any symptoms occur, these symptoms could include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. All this though is very unlikely to happen in your case and all you now need do is to monitor your dog.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Related Dog Questions