Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

What To Do If My Dog Has Eaten Some Rid-X From The Torn Box?

Customer Question
My dog (50lbs) tore up...

My dog (50lbs) tore up a box of rid-x. I don't know how much if any she ate. I was out all day, so I don't know how long it has been. She is acting normal, ate her dinner and drank water. Can you tell me if this is something I need to take her to the emer. vet for?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
2/14/2009
Dog Specialist: Dr Caroline, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian

Hi, can you tell me what is the active ingredient on the box?

I only see electronic rid-x on the internet?

According to the box it contains:

Cellulase: toilet paper, vegetable matter & some foods.

Lipase: Fats, oils & grease.

Protease: Proteins.

Amylase: Starches.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

The good news is that the ingredients listed are not toxic per say. I would be more scared if possible:

A digestive obstruction (stomach or bowel)from the toilet paper.

Pancreatitis from the amount of food she ingested.

A stomach dilatation from the food and the rid-x she ingested.

If this has happened several hours earlier, there is no point to make her vomit.You may need to wait and see if symptoms persist.

If I get it right, rid-X is the stuff you put in the septic tank?

There are a lot of bacteria. Their website mentioned humans should not be affected by it.

Due to the amount she ate, I wonder if she could get some serious digestive upset.

I would suggest before you get her to the ER,

Stop feeding her for a day.

Give her water if no vomiting.

http://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml

Call the ASPCA centre to know if the amount (possibly just give them a possible amount) would be detrimental to her.

They do charge you, but it is worth the call.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

it was Rid-X for a septic tank. Thankyou for the help we will keep an eye on her.

You're welcome.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian