Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

my dog has a rash on his stomach..what can I put on this

my dog has a rash on his stomach..what can I put on this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
Does he seem to lick or scratch at it?

Is it really red and inflammed or only moderately so?

Is there any areas that are draining, bleeding, or oozing?

Theresa
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

his stomach has a red rash all over it. He usually gets it in the summer,but he is licking it all the time and it is starting to bleed in some spots. I have given him benadryl and it helps him, but I dont know if I should keep giving it to him on a regular basis. what can I put on it that wont hurt him if he licks it..He is a black Lab 4yrs old.

thank you.

Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
The best thing to put on him is actually nothing. He needs to have the area free of hair and exposed to air to allow the skin to heal. For a day or two you can clean the area up with an antibacterial soap and apply neosporin to the area. I highly highly suggest picking him up an elizabethan collar/e-collar/cone for him to wear so that he cannot reach his stomach to lick. The more he licks the more irritated his skin is going to get. I would have him wear this until his skin is healed. Yes, you can continue to give him the benedryl especially since it helps. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound 2-3 times daily. If you aren't giving it at least 2 times a day then you should start doing that. This medication is safe to give long term and it is great that he has responded to it.

Theresa