Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois
9168612

HOW CAN I TELL IF MY CANINE IS DYING OF OLD AGE

Customer Question

HOW CAN I TELL IF MY CANINE IS DYING OF OLD AGE?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
- Can you give me a full picture of what is happening with your dog that makes you ask this question?

- What is the breed, sex and age of your dog and is your dog sick?

- Has your dog been seen by a vet recently?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SHE WONT EAT VERY MUCH IF AT ALL,SHE HAS BEEN DRINKING SMALL AMOUNTS OF WATER,WHEN WALKING,SHE SIDE-STEPS LIKE A DRUNK SAILOR,HAS NO MOTIVATION TO GET UP AND STAY UP ON HER PAWS, FINALLY HER SKIN COLOR UNDER HER FUR APPEARS TO BE GREY IN COLOR
I am sorry your beloved dog is feeling so sick. When a dog dies from "old age" it means they died from a disorder such as organ failure or cancer and we often refer to it as "old age" but it is really a death caused by a disorder somewhere in their body. I would recommend getting her in to see your vet, today if possible. She sounds very ill and your vet will give her a physical exam. After an exam and possible an x-ray or blood tests, your vet can tell you if she is failing from age related organ failure or if she has a chance of pulling through this episode with some treatment. If you feel she is too old for any testing or hospitalization, just explain that to your vet and ask the vet if putting her through any treatment would be too much for her at her elderly age. We veterinarians are always most concerned about quality of life for elderly, sick pets and we don't want to see them suffer. Your vet will help you make the decision if she is beyond help due to her advanced age. I hope this is helpful and I am sorry you are having to deal with this difficult situation. Please let me know if you have more questions about this. Best wishes.