Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs
437368

Has anybody ever seen a dog die from eating feline pine Can

Has anybody ever seen a dog die from eating feline pine? Can this get stuck in his intestines like clumping cat litter? Help!

Hi there,

What age, breed and weight is your dog?

How much feline pine did he eat and when?

Is he passing stool and eating food?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Terri -

He's a rescue I've had for about 4 months. I think he's more than ten years old - maybe older. I have not fed him since he last threw up, which was about 40 minutes ago. I think he's about 50-60 pounds. I don't know how much he ate. I just know one of my 3 dogs broke throught the barricade to the cat box at some point yesterday. I don't think he's passed stool yet today. Should I walk him and see if he will?

Dear friend,

May God bless you for rescuing!

No, f eline pine does NOT clump in the GI tract like litter. He would have had to ingest quite a bit to form a blockage but it could make him nauseated, YES.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-

dogs/page1.aspx

Add a half a pepsid a/c tablet to something he will eat right up.

Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Go very slow so he does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily from vomiting.

Add unflavored pedialyte to his water 50/50 to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to raise his blood sugar in case he is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk him up.

Do not allow him to drink a lot at a time If he throws up water, he can lick ice

Keep him on that very light diet of boiled chicken or baby food for 48 hours after the stool is normal.

Also give him one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in his system.

If he develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down he needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Terri -

Yes, I am a sucker for the older guys who don't have a chance. I always adopt them.

After researching on the internet "dog at feline pine died" I found only one response, which I will paste below so you have it. A woman said her friend's dog almost died from feline pine. I emailed her - remarkably she responded immediately. See her answer below. I thank you for your response. I think I will take your advice and wait this one out a bit. I tend to overreact and I don't always think rushing to the vet is in the dog's best interest - especially with older guys who get stressed.

Response from woman on yahoo: "The Feline Pine clumps up, expands, and gets very sticky when wet. The dog ate some, I didn't hear how much, and it caused a blockage in his intestines. He had to be hospitalized and the obstruction removed. The Vet said the cat litter stuck together and stuck to the intestine wall and was difficult to remove.

I used Feline Pine for years (mixed with Johnny Cat) before I got my dogs. I keep the catbox in a place that is inaccessible to the dogs, but still quit using it after I heard what happened.

She contacted the Feline Pine company and requested that they put a warning on their package, but they were not interested.

Marci"

Looks to me like the feline pine gets flakey when wet not sticky. So hopefully Harley is reacting to the pine oil or something just needs to process.

Terri, thank you for your answer, again.
Katy
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm confused by this site. I think I paid you 9 and then another 6 to make 15, right?

Dear friend,

Yes 9 for the question a six dollar bonus. Thank you so very much!!

It is my pleasure to help someone as lovely as you and your sweet baby.

I will always be here for both of you.

Thank you for your accept and bonus again. It is very appreciated.

Best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, Terri!

Have a great day.

Katy

Same to you Katy.

Sending as an I R so you are not charged. No need to reply.

Blessings,

Terri