Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is passing a mucus/bloody stool and is vomiting. She

My dog is passing a mucus/bloody stool and is vomiting. She has not eaten anything unusual. We have treated the mucus/blood stool in the past with Metronizadole, but she vomitted shortly after consumption. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

Assuming your dog is otherwise bright and happy you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve her today but make sure she has access to water.

B. Tomorrow feed hers four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she pick up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

When the dietary control kicks in you can start the metronidazole again. Of course if this does not work or if your dog deteriorates you should see your vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Her temp is 99.1. Is that a factor?
Hello again,

Thanks very much for the accept.

The normal temperature for the dog is between 100.8 and 102.8, if your dog has a low body temperature then this would be a cause for concern.

Sometimes when dogs have diarrhoea it is difficult to take a proper reading even for vets. My advice is that you should take your dog's temperature a couple of times over the next fifteen minutes and if it is clear your dog has a low temperature you should call your vet just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your quick answers.