Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Why is my dog staring at the ceiling

Customer Question
My dog stares sheepishly at...
My dog stares sheepishly at the ceiling for long periods. He is also afraid to enter certain rooms and trembles. We have been living in the same apartment for the last 4 years and have never seen these behaviors.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
1/14/2009
Dog Specialist: Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

How old is your dog?

When he stares at the ceiling, does he respond to your voice?

he is 7 yrs old he shakes and tremors and pins his ears back sheepishly like something is scaring him... this is all new and he sometimes looks at us if we call him when he is doing it sometimes he just keeps focused and stares for about ten to twenty seconds then walks away
The only thing, medically, that I can think of that would cause this would be seizure-like activity. (Some would argue that you may have a "ghost" or spirit in the house that he is sensing, but that's not really my realm of expertise.) Staring while trembling can be a form of seizure, and really, any behvavior that is out of the ordinary can be a form of seizure. I recommend having some bloodwork checked with your veterinarian and see if it shows any abnormalities, and then go from there. There are many different causes for seizure activity, and your vet will want to rule out a metabolic problem first.

In the meantime, if he has more than 2 "episodes" within a 24 hour period, contact a veterinarian right away.
Ann M.
Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian