Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I believe my female boxer has been sexually abused, how can

Customer Question
I tell for sure-what are...
I believe my female boxer has been sexually abused, how can I tell for sure-what are some symptoms?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
1/6/2009
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 8 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
HiCustomer

Do you thing a human has abused your dog sexually?
Or do you think another dog has mated with your female?
How old is your dog?
What makes you think she was abused?
Has she been spayed?
I believe my 19 year old stepson has abused her. She was spayed 2 months ago. She limps and can't seem to fully close he legs when she lies down, her lower abdomen seems to hurt when we touch it, she tucks her short tail when we touch her bottom, she lays around and turns the other way when we pet her, and she also had clear fluids coming out of her private part.
Customer

Your first step will be to have her seen by your vet. Dogs can develop uterine infections. If a portion of the uterus was left inside, this portion could become infected leading to some of the symptoms you are seeing. She might also have complications related to the spay operation as well.   A problem with the anal glands can cause swelling of the area and cause a dog to hold their tail down as well.

The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take her to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.   Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/analsacs.html

I must tell you that many female dogs will attempt to bite even male dogs when they are in heat and mating, so it is likely that a dog would attempt to protect themselves. So have her examined first by your vet before suspecting any abuse. If after a thorough examination, your vet feels that the dog may have been penetrated then you might want to consider talking to your spouse about the matter. This type of behavior is illegal in most places in the United States. I hope this information is helpful to you.