Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dogs penis the tip has been out for 3 days what causes this

Customer Question
and how do I fix...
My dogs penis the tip has been out for 3 days what causes this and how do I fix it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog
1/3/2009
Dog Specialist: Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

Is this tip of the penis swollen? Dry? Irritated?

Is he having any trouble urinating?

Approximately how much is sticking out?
It's getting dry and he is having a little trouble urinating. Just the tip a quarter inch or so.
Which came first, the penis sticking out or the discomfort while urinating?
The penis sticking out
Is this tip swollen at all?

Is he neutered?

Has this ever happened to him before?
Doesn't look swollen this is the first time and yes he is neutered
I would like you to do something. Get some vasoline or KY jelly and apply a liberal amount to the end of his penis. Massage the prepuce over the end of the penis (this is the furry bit of skin).

Are you able to replace the prepuce to cover the full length of his penis?

Was he uncomfortable when you were doing this?

Did any discharge come out?

Also check for any little knots of hair or other debris that may be blocking the way for the penis to be fully retracted.

Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Ok I can does this if this doesn't work then what
Go and do this first, then email me and let me know what happened. If it does not work, we can talk about what to do next. But I will need you to answer the questions I asked before we can talk about that.
This hurt him I didn't see any hair or nothing blocking this. When I pushed prepuce to cover it didn't stay covered. No puss or discharge came out
It looks like it went back in
That is good to hear! If it comes back out again, put a bit more lubricant on it. Below is the email I was writing (in case it comes out and stays out again).

Ok, there are a number of reasons for a dog to be unable to retract his penis into his prepuce. These include paralysis of retractor penis muscle, inflammation in his prepuce (from trauma or infection), foreign body obstruction (near the base of his penis may be causing it to not retract fully), fracture of the os penis bone (dogs have a bone in their penis), cancer (unlikely in a dog his age), prepuce opening that is either too large or too small, or balanoposthitis (inflammation of glans penis and prepuce).

I would advise that you continue to lubricate the tip of the penis every few hours and visit your vet for a thorough examination to check for the above conditions.

Dr. Beth
Thank you so very much
You are welcome. I am sure that was more up close and personal than you ever thought you would be with your dog.
yes it was good thing I've been around dogs and animals all my life Thank you
Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian