Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

my dog ate a flexeril that was probably 6 years old, what should i do

Customer Question
should i take him to...
should i take him to emergency or give him a little hydrogen peroxide to throw up? he just ate his dinner and he found 1 (i think 10 mg.) on the floor. The pill has to be at least 6 or 7 yrs old. I was throwing them away and one fell to the floor. He's a 65 lb lab, 7 yrs. old.
Thanks
Sue
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
1/3/2009
Dog Specialist: Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Hi Sue,

If he ate the tablet within the last 2 hours, we can go ahead and induce vomiting. If you have 3% hydrogen peroxide in the house, give him a small moist meal and then 2 TBSP of peroxide by mouth. If it is going to work, he should vomit within 15 minutes.

Email me in 15 minutes to let me know how things are going.

Dr. Beth

do you know what the side effects of cyclobenzaprine are for dogs? is it similar to ibuprofen for them? i was hoping to get a more definitive answer and i should have asked it that way so that I could make the decision as to whether or not i would induce vomiting.

Cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant as you know. Possible side effects include tachycardia (rapid heart rate), constipation, dilated pupils, vomiting, drowsiness, ataxia, seizures, and respiratory depression.   

This is not a medication used in canines. We do not have toxicity studies for this species with this drug, so I can not give you a range for a toxic dose.

There is no antidote. If a toxicity occurs and decontamination is not done (inducing vomiting) than supportive care is the only option if symptoms occur.

Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
OK, THANK YOU. I WILL INDUCE ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T WANT TO AS YOU COULD GUESS. MY FRIEND (AN MD) IS CURIOUS WHAT THE NORMAL HEART RATE IS FOR A LAB.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
Normal heart rate for a lab would be 70 -120 beats per minute. Although quite fit dogs can have lower heart rates and when excited the heart rate will rise more. I would be concerned about an elevated heart rate in a dog that otherwise seems at rest.

Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian