Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

MY JRT WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH BLADDER CANCER. HOW LONG DO

Customer Question
MY JRT WAS JUST DIAGNOSED...
MY JRT WAS JUST DIAGNOSED WITH BLADDER CANCER. HOW LONG DO THEY LIVE AFTER THIS TYPE OF DIAGNOSES AND WILL SHE BE IN A LOT OF PAIN?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog
1/3/2009
Dog Specialist: Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist replied 9 years ago
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist

I'm sorry to hear that you and your dog are having to deal with this. How long she will live, and whether there is more you can do for her, depends on a number of variables, including where on the bladder the tumor is located, how large it is, and whether it has spread to the lymph nodes or to other organs. Without any treatment at all, dogs with bladder cancer typically only live a few days to a few weeks. Many times, there is treatment that can help. In order to find out about it, you'll have to see a veterinary oncologist. Oncologists are usually on staff at veterinary teaching hospitals. This link will take you to a directory of such hospitals:
http://www.jugglingcats.com/vet_teaching_hospitals/veterinary_teaching_hospitals.htm

Possible treatment options include surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. Purdue University has conducted extensive studies on bladder cancer in dogs, and researchers have had good results combining chemo with a drug called piroxicam. Results vary from dog to dog, but average survival time has been 195 days, with a few dogs living more than two years. The following site has detailed information from Purdue on bladder cancer and different treatments. If you read it, you'll have a better understanding of the options. You'll need to scroll down when you get to the page.
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:iMblTVJI2d4J:www.vet.purdue.edu/pcop/CanineUrinaryBladderCancer.pdf+canine+bladder+cancer&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Here is a link to a download of the same information:

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/pcop/CanineUrinaryBladderCancer.pdf

If you would happen to live anywhere near Purdue, they often have clinical studies going on. You can get more information about that by calling their oncology department at(NNN) NNN-NNNN If you don't live near that university, it may be worth calling them to see if they know of studies at a veterinary college near you.

Dogs are not affected as much by all the unpleasant side effects that bother humans.You can read much more about possible treatments and how effective they are at this site:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/urinary-bladder-cancer-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you're interested in integrative treatment, which combines the best of conventional and alternative therapies, you may want to read the following site. Dr Roger Clemmons, DVM, at the University of Florida is a leading expert on integrative veterinary medicine. His article, includes recommendations for vitamins, herbs, and other supplements.

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/AltMed/Cancer/Cancer_AltMed.htm

Research has been done that shows it's better to feed a diet higher in fat and lower in carbohydrates to dogs with cancer. Cancer cells are nourished by carbohydrates. Science Diet makes a food for dogs with cancer - you would have to obtain it through your vet. The information on the following site is provided by Mary Straus, a respected writer for The Whole Dog Journal. It’s on diet for dogs with cancer, and is based on research done at Colorado State University.

http://www.dogaware.com/specific.html#cancer

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I'll be hoping for the best possible outcome for your dog.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist