How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19295
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog was just chewing on an unused Bounce dryer sheet. Should

Customer Question

My dog was just chewing on an unused Bounce dryer sheet. Should I make her throw up?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

Sounds like you have a mischievous and curious one there. Can you answer a couple questions for me?
1) How long ago did this occur?
2) Did she actually eat any of the sheet?

Dr. Bruce
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

You have gone offline so I'm going to pass on the information that I have here. I obtained this information from the Proctor and Gamble website. It is talking about the Bounce dryer sheet.

Hazard And Precautions: ACUTE: INGESTION OF USED OR UNUSED SHEET BY A YOUNG
CHILD OR HOUSEHOLD PET MAY LEAD TO IMPACTION OF GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT. A
PHYSICIAN OR VETERINARIAN SHOULD BE CONSULTED. MILD SKIN AND EYE IRRITANT.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE: PROLONG ED SKIN CONTACT OR INSTILLATION INTO
THE EYE MAY RESULT IN TRANSIENT SUPERFICIAL EFFECTS SIMILAR TO THOSE PRODUCED
BY MILD TOILET SOAP. ORAL INGESTION MAY RESULT IN MILD GASTROINTESTINAL
IRRITATION WITH NAUSEA, VOMITING OR DIARRHEA. CHRONIC : NONE LISTED BY
MANUFACTURER.

What this basically is saying is that there is no toxicity to eating the dryer sheet. The big problem comes from the eating of the sheet and it physically blocking up the stomach or intestines. So if your little one was just chewing on them and didn't actually eat any of the sheet, then she should be ok. If she has ingested some of the sheet that makes it a little more interesting possibly.

A very small amount and small pieces have a better chance than a lot of material and very big strips. We don't know what she got. The safest way to make a pet vomit is to see your vet, they can give her IV medication and monitor her during the vomiting. This is an option in the first 2 hours. After that, I wouldn't try to get her to vomit.

If you wait and see what happens, we don't want to see nausea, lack of appetite or abdominal discomfort over the next couple days to weeks. I've seen some dogs have a blockage occur weeks after the initial ingestion of the foreign material. If you see any of these signs, go see your veterinarian.

Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Bruce. She is sleeping now so I guess I will just wait and see. She might have gotten a few small shreds. BTW this happened at 6:00 Pacific, 9:00 Eastern this evening.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 years ago.
Glad to hear she's resting comfortably! Please keep an eye on her for any vomiting, lack of appetite, or abdominal discomfort. Tomorrow when she gets up... just go about her daily routine. Wait, give her a good petting for me!

Take care!
Dr. Bruce