How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Beth Your Own Question
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 631
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr.Beth is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog has ingested some amount of ice melt what do I need

Resolved Question:

my dog has ingested some amount of ice melt what do I need to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
What type of ice melt was this? Can you tell me the active ingredient?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sodium chloride and it is brand name Ice Melt does that help bitch weighs approximately 65 pounds
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
brand name is XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
Ice melts can pose moderate risks to pets, depending on the active ingredient. Most act as skin and gastric irritants, and vomiting and diarrhea are the most commonly observed clinical signs of illness. Ice melts that contain sodium chloride can lead to electrolyte abnormalities, which can lead to muscle tremors, acidosis, and seizures, however large quantities of the ice melt must be ingested to reach toxic levels.   Luckily most dogs do not ingest nearly enough of these ice melts to cause any real problems.

If your dog seems mentally normal and is not drinking loads of water or having muscle tremors, I doubt that she had a very large dose. Inducing vomiting will not help at this point and activated charcoal has little effect on the sodium chloride ions. Treatment for a toxicity usually involves supportive care in the form of fluids, diuretics and anti-seizure medication is indicated. You can always bring her to an emergency clinic to receive this care if you are concerned about how she is doing.

I would also wash your dog's face to remove any residue left.

Dr. Beth
Dr.Beth and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you